Two accused of assaulting British property buyer released

TWO MEN involved in the alleged assault of British home buyer Conor O’Dwyer were released from custody yesterday, police said.

Ayia Napa police chief George Economou said there had been no need to keep the pair in custody any longer.

“There was no need to hold them any longer. They were released and when the [investigation] file is completed it will decided whether the case goes to court,” he told the Cyprus Mail.

Economou said there was still more evidence to gather before the file was closed.

He added that the duo, Paralimni property developers, were not deemed dangerous.

The father and son were remanded in custody on Thursday for four days in connection with the brutal beating of O’Dwyer, with whom they were engaged in a legal dispute.

During the alleged assault in Frenaros village last Monday, O’Dwyer told police that the two men had taken his camera, which had recorded the attack.

O’Dwyer, 38, who has widely publicised the details of his property dispute with the developers on youTube and on the website lyingbuilder.com, was kicked in the kidneys and had his head stomped on. He was admitted to Larnaca hospital where he remained for most of last week.

He told the Sunday Mail last week he was afraid for his safety if the men were released from custody while he was still on the island. “It’s been absolutely horrendous but they are now in custody and I would rather it was extended until I leave the island,” he told the paper from his hospital bed on Friday.

By: Jean Christou Published: Tuesday 22nd January 2008
Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2008